Senior apartments (1)
Married couples who reach the age of 55 or plus and have empty nests usually look for the retirement community where they can enjoy their remaining life. These communities give them a comfortable zone to live with people of the same age. Senior apartments are located near the medical facilities and public transportation lines. A senior apartment provides 2 main perks
- a sense of community
Senior apartments are built according to the typical needs of elderly residents. For instance, senior apartments have limited or no stairs, handrails in washrooms, and accessible units for disabled elders. These apartments differ in setup and size. The small-sized apartment is like a studio apartment which is a wide spacious room with a living room, kitchen, and bedroom. Many apartments also offer multi-room arrangement. Some complexes provide triplexes, duplexes, condos, and townhomes. Each of these apartments delivers the most private and personal space. These are more like solo-family apartments. This perk makes it easy for them to leave their homes.
Benefits of senior apartments (2)
Seniors live more social and healthier lives in senior apartments. Gatherings at morning tea, watching movies, and enjoying a sunny day make them live a good quality of life. Following are the most common benefits seniors enjoy.
- They do not need to worry about home maintenance and yard work. Seniors pay monthly for these services and say goodbye to these worries. They also have the option of housekeeping.
- They pay for their expenses only once a month. Seniors can add up their monthly expenses from internet access and cable to their property taxes and anything they spend on festivity or leisure. Because of these benefits, senior apartments are considered affordable. Senior apartment residents can save their fuel cost by using transportation services provided by the set up they are living in.
- Most of the senior apartments are located near the amenities such as adult’s education centers, fitness clubs, entertainment, and special events all are situated on-site. Seniors can enjoy gourmet dining facilities staffed by experienced chefs. If a person is interested in hiking, gardening, weight training, golf, cycling then the senior community offers his precious hobbies.
- They make new friends having the same interests and personalities. They can join the club, yoga class, and music group to meet people of the same age and interest.
- Senior apartments provide greater security levels. People live among a lot of neighbors who look after when nobody is at the apartment.
People who can reside in senior apartments
The profile of residents of senior apartments varies. Some people live there as renters and some find these apartments a good option after selling their homes. People who reside in senior apartments are:
- Those who do not want to engage themselves in the yard and home maintenance
- Those who want to hang out freely without worrying about home
- Those who enjoy family and friends gathering
- For widows or widowers
- Those who are searching for lower cost apartments
Amenities of senior apartments
Amenities vary according to the complex but in general following amenities are found in every complex:
- 600 to 900 feet square one or two bedrooms
- Option for shared or private apartments
- the choice of furnished apartments
- Wide walk-in showers along with safety features
- Common living and TV rooms
- Dining rooms where the meal is offered two to three times a day
- Fire alarms, smoke detectors, and sprinkle system
- Computer workstations
- Laundry rooms with dryers and washers
Premium complexes offer the following amenities:
- Pharmacy and availability of the pharmacist
- Educational and recreational activity programs such as tai chi, walking, and yoga
- Transport facility for the church, local attractions, shopping, medical appointments, etc
- Housekeeping with laundry and linen service
- 24 hours of emergency staff
Low-income senior apartments (3)
Many seniors reside in low-income senior apartments. There are several low-income senior apartment options available through the private market and government of the state.
Types of low-income senior apartments
The federal government and the US Department of Housing and Urban development support four programs that are providing low-income senior apartments. These four programs are:
- Low-income housing tax credit properties
In this program investors and developers get tax credits for rehabbing, buying, and building rental apartments for people with low-income. In exchange, they set aside some apartments for low-income tenants.The rent of these apartments depends upon the average income of an individual going to live there.
- Section 202 supportive housing for the elderly
This housing scheme serves low-income seniors who need different services such as transportation, cleaning, and cooking.
- Public housing
These complexes are operated by country or city public housing agencies and are available for low-income citizens. Citizens have to pay 30% of their income for utilities and rent.
- Housing choice voucher program
This voucher program aids disabled people, the elderly and low-income families to pay the rent in market-rate apartments.
How to find low-income senior apartments
An individual can find a low-income senior apartment by contacting the current rental market. Cheap apartments can be found by visiting some online sites such as Forrent.com, after55.com, and HUD office or local public housing agency.
Where to find low-income senior apartments
The most common areas where low-income senior apartments can be found are as follows:
- Miami area
- phoenix area
- Pittsburgh area
- Tampa Bay
- Seattle area
- Las Vegas area
- Dallas area
- Orlando area
- Washington DC area
- San Antonio area
- Atlanta area
- Denver area
- Indianapolis area
- New York City area
Cost of senior apartments
The cost of senior apartments varies and depends upon several factors. The decision of either renting an apartment or buying apartment influences the associated cost. Moreover, floor plans amenities location, and other factors affect greatly the cost of senior apartments.