Urgent care (1)
It is a sector of walk-in-clinic that focuses on the availability of ambulatory care in a medical facility outside the hospital’s emergency department. Urgent care centers treat illnesses or injuries that need instantaneous care but are not severe enough to require a visit to an emergency department. These centers are distinguished from ambulatory healthcare departments, such as convenient care clinics and emergency departments, by their accessible facilities on-site and spectrum of conditions they dealt with.
Criteria for urgent care centers
Both the American Academy of urgent care medicine AAUCM and the Urgent Care Association of America UCAOA have ascertained standards for urgent care centers and the doctors who regulate them. It includes
- It must treat walk-in patients during working hours
- It must treat a wide range of injuries and illnesses.
- It must be available seven days a week.
- It must have a licensed physician, who is governing as a medical director
- It must have diagnostic equipment such as X-ray and phlebotomy
- Different exam rooms must be available there.
- Various business and ethical standards should be met by the Centre.
- Different procedure rooms should be available where the following procedures could be performed:
- Putting a cast on the leg
- Minor surgical procedures
- These centers must have a communication line with other hospitals to shift a patient to an emergency department if needed.
Urgent care center’s staff (2)
The staff of urgent care centers comprised of three professionals
This staffing model is a highly paid professional. It is the most helpful professional in health care centers. He makes diagnoses and prescribes medicines according to the condition of the patient.
- Mixed models.
This model comprises physicians, their assistants, and nurses. This model increases the volume of patients in the health care facility. The proper staff gains the attention of patients.
- Mid-level model
Some centers are staffed by mid-level staff. These types of centers are suitable for less severe cases such as minor burns, cuts, swelling, etc., but these are not established enough to treat more severe cases such as a bone fracture.
Services of urgent care centers (3)
- Conditions they are treating
One of the biggest services offered by these centers is the treatment of non-life-threatening and common injuries and illnesses. In general, these conditions include:
- Asthma and allergic reactions
- Bug bites, burns, cuts, and animal bites
- Springs, falls, broken bones, and strains
- ear infections
- pink eye
- flu and cold
- Strep throat and bronchitis
- sinus pressure and sinusitis
- Lab services provided by urgent care centers
Many urgent care centers deliver various lab services for better diagnosis and patient help. These lab services are the same as the type of services that are given in the emergency room. These include:
- pregnancy test
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) test
- Fecal blood occult
- Rapid flu test
- Strep test
- Prothrombin time (PT) test or international normalized ratio (INR) test
- Drug screening
- Electrolyte test
- Blood test ( complete blood count, comprehensive metabolic panels, blood glucose, erythrocyte sedimentation rate ESR)
- Preventive health services
Urgent care centers also deliver different routine services to the patient. These services encompass many regular and preventive items. Some routine services provided by urgent care centers are:
- Gynaecologic exams
- Flu shots and vaccination
- Physicals (annual, sports, or school)
- Well baby examination
- Drug screening
- Symptoms treated by urgent care facilities.
Sometimes a person may not know the exact illness he is suffering from. In this case, it is still a good choice to consult health care centers. Usually, they treat the following symptoms:
- Itching and rashes
- Wheezing, sneezing, and coughing ( dry as well as productive cough)
- Muscle and body aches
- Diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting
- Strep throat and sour throat
- Unusual swelling and pain in the limbs
- Intravenous IV administration and medication services
Nurses and doctors are available in these centers. They give a person the best medical suggestions including IV administrations and oral medications. It depends upon the condition of a person. If the condition of the patient is less severe, then appropriate oral medications are dispensed to him. If he is dehydrated then IV solutions are given to him that restores the water content instantaneously.
Top urgent care centers providing fast urgent facilities
The nearest urgent care centers depend upon the location of a person. He can online search for the nearest urgent care center by putting his current location on the map.
Urgent care centers in the US are covering about 25% of locations. Some of the renowned health care centers in the US are as follows.
It is the number one national health care company of America that concentrates on enhancing the quality of life of patients. It is staffed by affiliated clinicians, who provide 24-hour urgent care, occupational medicine, physical therapy, and a broad span of health services.
It is awarded the Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission and holds the 2nd rank in America. This accreditation reflects its commitment to provide 24-hour care to walk-in patients.
- Medcentre health
It has been operated since 2012 in Toronto. It has brought together all essential health facilities under one roof and provides its patients with reliable, quick, and convenient access to health care facilities.
- Etobicoke urgent care clinic
It is one of the renowned urgent care clinics in Canada. It is fully equipped to provide care to the patient of any age. Along with walk-in care services, it also provides cardiologic and general surgical services.
In the United Kingdom
- HCA Healthcare UK
It is affiliated with The Princess Grace Hospital. It ensures the safety of the patient by providing immediate access to healthcare management, assessment, and onward referral. It treats a broad spectrum of minor injuries and illnesses.
- St Charles urgent care center
This center is operated by the Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust. It provides 24-service to the patients. It is staffed entirely by high-level professionals.